Monday, January 24, 2011

Vegetable Ragu


My mom loves to cook. This is her favorite vegetable dish during summer when she has vegetables from her garden. This is my favorite Ukrainian vegetable dish too. I love that I do not have to wait until summer comes, because here I could buy vegetables all year around. 




You will need:
3 cups shredded cabbage
2 medium zucchini
2 large potatoes
2 medium tomatoes
1 large carrot
1 medium onion
2 Tbsp corn or olive oil
salt, pepper, sugar to taste

1. Dice zucchini, potatoes and onion. Shred carrot. Slice tomatoes. 

2. Heat the oil in a large skillet that has a cover. Cook tomatoes on one side for 2-3 minutes, then cook them on the other side for 2-3 minutes.


3. Put vegetables in layers. Start with diced onion and shredded carrot. Season each layer with a bit of salt .


4. Add diced potatoes.


 5. Add shredded cabbage.


6. Add diced zucchini.


7. Let it simmer on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes. 

8. Mix vegetables. And continue to mix every 3 minutes. Depending on how juicy your vegetable are, you can leave the skillet open (if you have a lot vegetable juice), or cover if you do not have a lot of juice. Ideally at the end you will have cooked vegetables and almost no vegetable juice. Season with pepper, add more salt according to your taste. I also like to put 1/2 Tbsp of sugar, but this is optional.




9. Dish is ready when potatoes are done.

1 comments:

Jolene

Thank you for your comment on my blog. What church are you from that has a bus ministry? I love the bus ministry and am so thankful for it. :-)

I am definitely going to have to try your delicious-looking recipes when we get home!

Goodies From My Kitchen   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP